Friday, February 4, 2011

Utah legislators... where do I start?

In a recent meeting with several college and university presidents from higher education institutions across the state, state senator Howard Stephenson R-Draper lamented that valuable state money is being wasted thanks to students who want to pursue liberal arts degrees instead of technical degrees, and that therefore jobs are being wasted. Jobs are wasted? Senator Stephenson, what was the unemployment rate in Utah last time you checked? How many technical jobs are open here in Utah that stand vacant, just waiting for a student to give up on his or her dream of pursuing a career in philosophy or literature, dance or music? Show me some statistics because with I just don't believe it. Senator, I graduated with a degree in history, a Bachelor of Arts. I am applying to medical school this summer. You may ask, why would I choose to "waste" my time with history if I am on the road to becoming a doctor? The answer is simple, so that I don't live my life in a narrow-minded cage the way many of our beloved state senators and representatives do. I refute the world they try to build. I refute this fallacy that money is wasted on liberal arts education. It enables more fully those who take the time to enjoy and support it the ability to appreciate beauty, think critically, and in general lead a better life. Where would we be without Tchaikovsky? Hemmingway? Robert Frost? Shakespeare? Monet? Rachel Carson? Mozart? Picasso? This is just a short list from off the top of my head of some prominent artists that have had a profound effect on my life as of late. Where would I be without them? The world would be a colder place without the liberal arts.

Even if I just think about the economic effects of a loss of the liberal arts, where would the technical jobs be? The SLTribune reported that the kids taking history and psychology classes actually helped pay for the science education! Where would the computer industry be without liberal arts? Where would the jobs be for the people who developed the ipod, ipad, iphone, nook, kindle, samsung galaxy, etc without books, newspapers, music of any sort?

I realize this is all over the place but I have to go for now. This is just an incomplete thought so far. I am so frustrated with people like Stephenson right now, I had to let some of that frustration out.

Here is the article I read:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51183443-76/education-utah-science-degrees.html.csp

2 comments:

  1. Todd, you wasted your education because if you study intelligent people's opinions too closely, along with actual history, then you just might become intelligent enough to realize just how full of B.S. many Utah, and most federal, lawmakers when they attempt to push agendas and policies that are so easy to make sound good to a "technically educated" public.

    And besides Todd, since history is a "liberal art", and that pretty much translates to satanic drivel, you will obviously become an evil liberal, who will care more for the wicked poor people than for the honorable and righteous well to do. And bleeding hearts like that are not good for the propagation of our up and coming capitalists who have obtained their technical and business degrees like good little boys (girls shouldn't attend school because it might distract them from having dinner ready for their husbands when they get home, oh, and they might see the "liberal arts" girls walking around campus with shoes on and want some of their own... and that would get expensive and decrease their husband's net worth, and that would be even more dangerous than a bunch of liberals running around spouting things like "ideals" and "history").

    Seriously though Todd, I wouldn't expect a "liberal arts" major like yourself to understand "technical" concepts like this... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I just came across your blog and I fell in love with it! It's spectacular! I love your style! Check out my blog and follow if you like it, I promise to do the same!
    www.fullclosetbutnothingtowear.blogspot.com
    See you soon, kisses!

    ReplyDelete